Tenant Information

At Orchard & Shipman, we recognise that moving into new accommodation can be a very busy and stressful time. This page aims to answer some of the questions you may have during your tenancy.

If you have any problems or questions regarding your property or tenancy agreement then please do not hesitate to contact your Property Manager who will be able to offer you advice and support.

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

Your main responsibilities as a tenant are to adhere to the terms of the tenancy agreement.

Orchard & Shipman manage the tenancy of behalf of the council and are entitled to act for the council in enforcing and carrying out the terms of this agreement.

Please take time to read the tenancy agreement and keep it in a safe place. It is important that you adhere to the conditions of your agreement and failure to do so could result in the loss of your property.

Examples of breaking your agreement conditions are:

Care and Cleanliness of the Property

You are responsible for keeping the interior & exterior (including gardens) of property clean and tidy at all times and to take all necessary precautions to prevent damage to the property, or communal areas caused by water, condensation, frost or fire.

Failure to do so could result in the termination of your tenancy.

Paying rent

Your rent and other charges are due in advance on Monday every week. If you have an agreement with us you can pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly if you prefer.

The amount of daily / weekly rent which you are required to pay on the property is confirmed on your tenancy agreement.

You will receive a rent statement on a regular basis so you can keep track of your rent payments – it is important that you check this carefully. If you think there is a mistake, you must notify us immediately.

Find out more on how to make rental payments.


As the tenant of the property you are responsible for paying the all the utilities on the property (including council tax & water). It is advisable that you contact the utility suppliers immediately when you move into your property.

If there are “pay as you go” meters where cards or keys are present, you must still contact the supplier and request that the new keys / cards are sent to you as soon as possible.

Failure to set up an account or pay your utilities can result in the suppliers obtaining a court order to force access to disconnect your gas and electricity. Any legal fees and costs for locksmiths forcing access will also be charged to you.

Under the respective gas and electricity acts the meters are owned by the current utility supplier, you can change to a preferred supplier or change the type of meter that is in your home. However any costs involved whilst changing supplier will be your responsibility as the account holder.

Utility Services


Phone Number

Email Address / Website

British Gas

0800 048 0202

Email: customerservice@britishgas.co.uk  

Southern Electric

0800 980 8476

Website: www.southern-electric.co.uk 

EDF Energy

0800 096 2255

Website: www.edfenergy.com


0800 073 3000

Website: www.npower.com


 0333 202 4610

Website: www.eonenergy.com

TV Licensing

0300 790 6131

Website: www.tvlicensing.co.uk

Repairs, Maintenance, Improvements & Alterations

Maintaining your property

During cold periods, your property should not be left overnight without any heating, due to the risk of freezing and burst pipes. If a property is to be left empty during the winter time, your water should be turned off at the mains stopcock.

You must notify us in writing if the property is going to be left empty for more than 4 weeks.

Ending your tenancy

You can end your tenancy at any time by notifying us in writing.

Your tenancy will not end and you will still be charged the daily/weekly charge until you personally return the property keys to Orchard & Shipman. A key receipt must be obtained as proof of return.

We will arrange to inspect your property to make sure you are leaving it in a satisfactory condition for the next person.

If your property needs repairs and/or redecorating we may recharge you for these works if they are not considered as reasonable wear and tear.

Before moving out of your house, you must do the following: